TJ Rubicon CV Rear Drive Shaft
Rear drive shaft for Jeep TJ or LJ. Only fits Rubicon model.
TJ Rubicon rear drive shaft vibrations are virtually guaranteed on any TJ Rubicon with 2" of lift or more. Because these shafts are so short, every 1" of lift adds nearly 4° of angle to the drive shaft! All that added angle will cause Rubicon stock rear drive shafts to shudder and vibrate. The solution is to run a double cardan (also know as a CV) drive shaft. This will smooth out the power flow by splitting the angle between multiple joints. In order for this type of shaft to work correctly however, you may need to adjust the angle of your rear pinion using adjustable control arms. Click the link below for more details about proper pinion angle.
Key product features
- 2" diameter .120" wall USA made DOM tube.
- Forged slip yoke.
- Greaseable CV center ball.
- Your choice between Tom Wood's exclusive Gold Seal greaseable universal joints or non-greaseable joints.
- Attaches to transfer case using a steel socket flange, strongest on the market.
- Best of all every shaft is custom built to whatever length you need. So you can be sure that you will get the right thing the first time around.
- Custom made drive shafts are shipped one business day after the order is received. How is that possible you ask? Magic. Magic and hard work.
- Standard wheelbase TJ Rubicons come with the S spline. Long wheelbase LJ Rubicons have the option of the longer X spline.
We recommend a new set of straps and bolts to securely attach your new drive shaft.
Watch this video to see how easy it is to install the drive shaft.
The original equipment driveshaft on my lifted 2006 LJ started vibrating very badly after my last off road trip. The rear U joint had failed and was starting to seize. This Jeep has 76K miles on it. The original owner of this Jeep had done a 3.5 inch lift kit but used a drop kit on the transfer case to try and align the driveshaft. I elected to replace the original driveshaft with a CV driveshaft from Tom Woods and put the transfer case back to the original position. After installation, I am really surprised at how much smoother and vibration free the Jeep is now than it has been in the last 25K miles. This is the drivetrain the Jeep should have had after the lift kit was installed by the previous owner.
I measured for the new driveshaft per the instructions on the web site. I ordered it on Sunday afternoon and it shipped by Tuesday. It was a perfect fit.
I was about to put in new U-joints and given the condition of my shaft (puny, unsubstantial, embarrassing, rusty), I opted for the full upgrade. Well, I never knew how smooth my jeep could be. This thing is SOLID and no longer a concern as a failure point. Definitely doing the front next. Quality piece and the support of answering my questions/concerns was amazing!
No issues so far. Don’t think I will have any. Good company to do business with.
Very nicely done, great fit. Driveshaft shipped sooner than expected, great service.
New Tom Woods rear driveshaft for 3.5" Lift. Installation was easy and straight forward. Easier than installing the new rear control arms. Setup rear pinion as directed and the ride is great with no vibrations.