JL Wrangler Front Drive Shaft
Jeep JL front drive shaft noise. . . it is a common problem and is inevitable on nearly all lifted Jeep JL Wranglers. It comes down to the design. The stock drive shafts use Rzeppa CV joints that were designed to work in stock Jeeps. Two or three inches of lift is enough to cause these CV joints to fail (watch video below). JL drive shaft rebuild kits just don't cut it. That is why almost all JL drive shaft replacements are upgraded to a double cardan design (a double cardan is also commonly called a cv). This shaft will handle the angles that your stock drive shaft can not. The double cardan drive shaft is a time tested design that has proven itself in thousands of other Jeeps.
Tom Wood's 1350 series JL front shaft comes with the required output yoke for transfer case and will bolt directly to your stock pinion flange.
Key product features
- Double Cardan design. Eliminates problematic CV joints, torn CV boots are a thing of the past.
- 1350 series joints.
- 2" diameter 0.120" wall USA made DOM tube.
- Extra long "X" spline for greater stability and greater range of movement.
- Forged slip yoke.
- Your choice between Tom Wood's exclusive Gold Seal greaseable universal joints or non-greaseable joints.
- Comes with required transfer case yoke. (some "cheaper" shafts don't come with this yoke which means that you pay more in the long run)
- Comes with new double cardan bolts with reduced head for ease of installation.
- Best of all every shaft can be custom built to whatever length you need. So you can be sure that you will get the right thing the first time around.
Jeep JL front drive shaft lengths vary a bit and we want to make sure you get the right thing. That is why we require a length measurement before building the shaft. Measuring is simple and easy. Measure as shown in the photo in the product photos on this page. You can measure with or without the stock shaft installed.
As always, awesome quality in product & services. Tom Woods for life!
Perfect fit, nice welds, and feels smooth at high speeds.
Ordered and arrived within about a week. Install only took a couple of hours. Definitely beefier than the stock and improved the clearance on the cross member. Used my old shaft and replaced my wife's as hers CV boot has disintegrated. Will be doing the rear in the future. Thanks for a great turnaround time.
The Rubicon 4XE transfer case sits farther back, and therefore, even with a 2.5" lift, you need to upgrade your driveshaft. Tom Woods came highly recommended. Arrived quickly with great packaging protecting the splines and other important parts. Installation is easy if you have the right tools and can follow instructions. A test drive in 4 auto gave me zero vibrations. This is my second order from Tom Woods on as many jeeps. They have a good product and service.
Outstanding customer service. Had the new drive shaft in 2 days. It is a perfect fit in the 2019 JLUR and tons better than the OEM. My OEM rotating ball was toast. I only have 30k miles on it. I have put 10k miles on it since buying the rig. But, I do have a 3.5" lift.